My Feelings Do Not My Identity Make
I have often described our self-identity as being represented by a bucket - similar to the children’s book came out called Fill A Bucket.
When we have a healthy sense of self-identity our bucket will be full and overflowing.
WHY FANTASIZE WHEN WE CAN IMAGINE? Fantasy is the easy way out.
We live in an instant society - instant oatmeal, instant pictures, instant communication, etc. We like it when everything is at our fingertips and that we can access any piece of information whenever we want. All we have to do is Google it. I do like all the conveniences of a lot of these things (except the instant oatmeal
THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN IMAGINATION AND FANTASY
The dictionary defines fantasy as imagination that is extravagant and unrestrained, a mental image that is unreal and fantastic.
IMAGINATION = ADVENTURE
Have you ever imagined what it would be like not to have an imagination? For
me, life would be very dull.
"I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."
Have you ever looked in a mirror and saw someone totally different looking back at you?
I haven't either. :-)
Wouldn't it be nice to see what isn't there sometimes especially on the days when what you see looking back at you looks tired, cranky and out of sorts - like something the cat dragged in.
I used to see a frown looking back at me and I decided that I did not need to see that, so I started winking at myself and that just made me smile which helped to brighten my day!
What really brightens my day is when I realize that the Creator of this universe says that:
- I am so valuable to him that he died for me
- He died for me while I was still 'frowning' at the world and especially at myself
- nothing can ever separate me from his love
- he says that he is the same yesterday, today and forever
- which tells me that he must love me exactly as much when I am being really, really bad as
when I am being really, really good
- which means that no matter how good I am, I can never earn his love
- he could hardly wait for me to be born as he watched me being formed in my mother's womb
- he thinks as many good thoughts of me as there are sand on the beach and as there are
stars in the sky; not in a lifetime, but in one day!
It has been extremely difficult for me to accept such love that is so freely given. I know I do not deserve that and yet he just continues to give it anyway.
What I did is asked God to reveal what kind of love he has for me and how much. He bowled me over with the sliver of his love he showed me and it just keeps going. There is no end in sight.
I wonder what he would show you if you asked him the same question? I dare you!